Arsenic, when purified and administered in proper doses, is a blessing. It removes many diseases. It improves the blood. When it is not purified properly and given in overdoses, it brings about many ill-effects. Even so, when the mind is rendered pure and thoughtless, it leads on to Liberation. When it is impure and fond of sensual objects, it leads on to bondage.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will have Darshan (Vision) of the Lord. The heart must be pure. The eye also must be chaste in its look. There is a tongue in the eye. A lustful eye wants to taste the different types of beauty for its selection. Lust of the eyes is as much dangerous as lust of the flesh.
Beauty of nature emanates from the Lord. Train the eye properly. Let it see Soul everywhere. The Yogic methods give directions as to how you should purify and refine the mind and improve the mirror and keep it clean by getting rid of the impurities such as lust, anger, greed, vanity, jealousy, etc. The aim of Charity, Meditation, Fasting, Pilgrimage, Service, Compassion is purification of the mind.
The Sermon on the Mount by Lord Jesus is the essence of Raja-Yogic Yama practice. It is difficult to put the teachings into practice. But, if they are put into practice, mind can be easily controlled.
This is the summary of the Sermon:
- Blessed are the poor in spirit; for theirs is the kingdom of heaven..
- Blessed are they that mourn; for they shall be comforted..
- Blessed are the meek; for they shall inherit the earth..
- Blessed are they who do hunger and thirst after righteousness; for they shall be filled..
- Blessed are the merciful; for they shall obtain mercy..
- Blessed are the pure in heart; for they shall see God..
- Blessed are the peace-makers; for they shall be called the children of God..
- Blessed are they who are persecuted for righteousness. sake; for theirs is the kingdom of heaven..
- Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad; for great is the reward in heaven; for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you..
- But I say unto you, that ye resist not evil; but whosoever shall smite on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also..
- And if any man shall sue thee in the law and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also..
- Love your enemies as thyself, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you..
Before you go to work daily, study once carefully this Sermon of Lord Jesus in the morning and remember the teachings once or twice during the course of the day. In course of time, you will be able to regulate your emotions and moods, cultivate virtue and eradicate vice. You will have immense peace and will-force.
The spiritual path is rugged, thorny and precipitous. Sruti declares: “Kshurasya dhara nisita duratyaya durgam pathastat kavayo vadanti,”The path is as sharp as the edge of a razor and impassable; that path, the intelligent’s say, is hard to go by.. The thorns must be weeded out with patience and perseverance. Some of the thorns are internal; some are external. Lust, greed, wrath, delusion, vanity, etc., are the internal thorns. Company with the evil-minded persons is the worst of all the external thorns. Therefore, shun ruthlessly evil company.
Mind – Its Mysteries and Control by Sri Swami Sivananda